Bringing a baby into the world is a wonderful life event that should be captured. It’s a time you are going to want to remember and share with your little one once they are a bit older. If you are thinking about or have recently booked a maternity photo session then these 5 tips should come in handy as your prepare for your session.
1. Timing. Schedule your session between 31 and 36 weeks as your tummy should have popped and have a beautiful shape. By booking your maternity session during this time you are also past the discomfort that happens earlier in the pregnancy and should have good energy.
2. Get the pregnancy glow. We know how important it is to moisturize those knees, elbows and belly but we recommend you do so 1 – 2 hours before the session to avoid any shininess or sticky clothes. You should also avoid wearing any tight fitting watches or bracelets that might leave marks on your skin.
3. Pamper yourself. Treat yourself to a neutral or light colored manicure 1 – 2 days prior to your maternity session so that you can take some beautiful shots with your hands on your tummy. Don't forget to schedule your hair and makeup appointments ahead of time.
4. Props. If you already have some cute baby items such as shoes, hats, or onesies, bring them along as they make for adorable props. The same applies to family heirlooms. If you have a special locket or photo that you would like to use, bring it along too. More and more moms are using their ultrasound photos in their photo sessions. If you aren’t sure if you want to use it or not, you can always bring it and decide on the day.
5. Choosing an outfit. One or two? It's up to you! Pick something that you will be comfortable in. A long and flowing dress is the most elegant and showcases your bump the best. This is a time to embrace you body and give yourself grace, if you are self conscious, don't choose a tight fitting or short outfit. Floral patterned dresses are definitely okay, just make sure the pattern and colors don't clash with the background of your location. Just one more thing: Accessorize! And if you're on the fence about a floral crown, do it! When else will you get the chance to say yes to a floral crown?
If you will be including anyone else in your session, your significant other or your other children then ask us for our style guide. We have lots of tips on coordinating outfits and choosing locations that will have you and your family feeling prepared and comfortable on the day of your session.